Thursday, March 1, 2012

MARCH IS NATIONAL CRAFT MONTH AND I HAVE A CRAFTY TIP



Did you know that March is National Craft Month? On their website the Craft and Hobby Association explains that National Craft Month was designed in 1994 "to help people learn about and re-discover the joy of crafting and all its many benefits." How have I never known this?  Well now ... get out your fabric, paper, beads, buttons, yarn and glue...it's time to tap your inner-crafty!!
To get the month started, I have A Crafty Tip if your craft project involves a small amount of paint (or other liquids that might dry out between coats such as decoupage medium):  use an old prescription bottle to hold your paint!



I used one of my larger prescription bottles and a 1" foam brush which fit into the opening of the bottle perfectly!



The bottle can be easily sealed and unsealed between coats giving the paint less chance to dry out.  In between coats I closed the bottle and wrapped the brush tightly in plastic wrap (but not so tightly that it distorted the shape of the brush).



I didn't use all of my paint up so when I was done with my project I made a small dab on the outside to easily identify the color. I also find that a Sharpie pen works well to write special color names or customized blends - mine was white so I wasn't too worried about it. Additionally, if it had been any other color I would put a dab of the color on the top of the lid so it would be visible in my storage drawer.



This is also a great way to store small amounts of paint for touch up jobs around the house - when you paint a room save a small quantity in one of these bottles, label it and set it aside.  Then you are ready for those pesky dings, scrapes and mars that seem to come out of nowhere without having to open the giant can of paint you originally used.  Much cheaper than those tiny paint sample bottles found at your local paint or hardware store...and is an exact match for the color you used.


Time to get Crafting!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment